Wednesday, May 28, 2008

To PDA or not to PDA

First of all, what does PDA even stand for?

Wait here, I will go and google it. (For those who are still living in the dark with me, PDA stands for Personal Digital Assistant, and I gotta tell you I like the sound of that!)

I have been carrying two cell phones for about a year. It is absolutely ridiculous for someone like me to have two cell phones (as a matter of fact, I am trying to think of someone who 'needs' two cell phones...).

I am currently trying to decide whether I should upgrade to a PDA or stick with the phone I have.

Some factors to consider;
- one of my new responsibilities at church is to be the keeper of the "official" church calendar, which unless I want to carry a paper copy around everywhere, this would be helpful.
- there is NOTHING wrong with the phone(s) I currently have
- upgrading would cost me $30 a month
- I would have an "assistant"!!!
- I could become one of 'those' people...
- I would have to learn how to use the PDA....


Okay, so weigh in on this and share with me your thoughts on whether or not I should "PDA"...

And, could you tell me if you have a PDA and what kind you have?!?!? Thanks!!!

7 comments:

Laura said...

haha.. .well to me a PDA is 'public display of Affection' so I can't help you.

kd_rundle said...

i was thinking the same thing!...why do you have two cell phones? i don't understand that....but i would say go for the PDA, simplify it all to one device. I don't have one, but I know MANY people who have blackberries. And if you're partially using it for work - you should be able to write of the extra expense on your taxes or have the church make up the difference.

Lisa said...

It sounds like it would simplify your life, so I say go for it. Plus PDAs are usually too big to flush down a toilet as opposed to a cell phone, so you can cross that danger right off of your worry list. That's reason enough to have one! :)

I know nothing of these modern things though, so I can't help with specifics.

Ashlee Liddell said...

Here is the short version of why I have two cell phones... the whole church staff consolidated onto one plan (which was economically beneficial for the church) and my personal cell phone contract was not up yet.

Then, once my contract did expire, I was hesitant to only have a phone number that technically belonged to the church. Ugh.

After an hour consulting with my personal cell phone carrier, I have decided to keep the plan but use it like a house line. I won't even carry it with me probably, and if I do go PDA, then I will still be saving money.

Which, although you three aren't in the PDA world yet, I think I am leaning towards joining.

This is the longest, most boring comment I have ever left. Why.....
For some reason I simply could not stop myself from explaining the insanity.... yikes!

Joe said...

ok ash...first of all...forget the blackberry...unless you really like the touch screen...for half the price...you will sacrifice the touch screen...but still have basically the same phone...only much skinnier...(and dont we all like skinny phones?)...i would highly recommend the phone that i have...which...if you use outlook...you can automatically sync it with your phone and transfer all the contacts over instantaneously...my phone is the moto q...which is about the most reasonable "smart phone" (pda is a term from the late 90's...aka "palm pilot")on the market...you can surf the net, store contacts, set calendar appts, play games, all kinds of stuff...but here's what i like most about it...i have internet access anywhere that i have reception...because i can actually use it as a modem for my laptop...so that i can use my laptop anywhere...once again...the moto q is the best bet for the money...so that's my recommendation....unless you really want the touch screen...and then i think i would probably still skip on the blackberry and the palm treo and go with the htc...good luck ashlee

terriH said...

i'm tired after reading all of that. it all sounds like too much work. i just have a cell phone and a big paper calendar that lives on my desk. it makes me happy that i can use my purple marker and slash through the days gone by. it's therapeutic.

and i also first thought "public display of affection" when i saw PDA.

good luck with your future purchase, miss ashlee. you go, you techie girl you. :)

Amy L said...

I have a Blackberry, and don't have any experience with other PDAs, but Robert used to have a Moto Q and had to switch to a Blackberry, and he much preferred the Q. Everyone I know who has an iPhone absolutely loves it. Either way, it's nice having easy access to your calendar and e-mails. Good luck with your choice!