Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Gifts that make a difference...

I love Christmas shopping!

I love trying to think of meaningful gifts to give the people in my life. It is really something I look forward to all year.

This year I really wanted my gifts to make a difference. I just didn't want to buy something cool or fun, but I wanted to try and think of things that either made a difference in the life of the person receiving it or the persons whom I purchased it from.

In my quest, I have come across some really incredible ministries I would love to share with you. If you still need gift ideas, these are all winners!

www.narimon.org

Narimon products are handmade by women and girls who either once were forced to sell their dignity, or by their situation were at high risk to do so. Now they not only have work, but they make something they can be proud of. They begin to understand, some for the first time, that they are valuable beyond measure.
There was once a time when people knew who made the goods they purchased--the baker, the shoemaker, the blacksmith, the milkman, the tailor, etc. They weren't just goods, they represented relationships. When you bought a suit, you knew you helped John feed his family. In today's superstore world, things are just things. Something might bear the a famous name, but it's actually designed by an unnamed employee and made by someone else in a huge factory.
Narimon products are made with quality in mind, not charity. Each product is personally signed by its creator. When you buy a Narimon product, you know that you have helped a woman find her dignity.
*I ordered Christmas cards here, and they are really amazing.
I know I have already blogged about this ministry once, but I ordered a handful of these totes for some very special gals in my life. They would make great gift bags to help spread the word about this ministry. I also received a letter from the owner about how they are seeking to expand their ministry, so keep them in their prayers.
If I was super rich, I would have purchased the "monthly obsession" package for all my coffee loving friends and family members. This coffee comes in really top notch packaging, including a special clip to re-seal, and each package shares the missions vision with the coffee drinker.
So, who else knows some ministries where we can buy gifts that make a difference?

0 comments: