Sunday, February 17, 2008

So, what are you supposed to do....

I am almost 28.

I consider this to be young.

Some of you might consider it to be very young, and today I would agree with you.

I just came home from the cardiac waiting room at St. Luke's. I am too young to have friends whose parent's are suffering from things like cardiac arrest.

I don't suppose anyone really knows what to do in situations like these, but all I know is that I certainly do not know what to do.

And my precious friends deserve better. They deserve to have someone who knows the right thing to say and do, who can truly bring peace and comfort.

Praise God my Savior is bigger than my weaknesses and shortcomings. He is made perfect in my weaknesses...

And if any of you know some good tips (things you should bring for a waiting room, etc.) please leave me a comment, because Lord knows I need all the help I can get!

4 comments:

terriH said...

Sometimes the best thing is knowing that you care and are willing to do anything. Being in a situation where you are at a hospital with a loved one is not fun, however, just having friends who love and support you makes all the difference.

Tips for waiting rooms? Hmm...snacks and sodas so they don't have to keep going to the vending machine or cafeteria...umm...maybe crossword/puzzle books or magazines to pass the time. Some waiting rooms have jigsaw puzzles for people to work on.

Hope that helps. Be encouraged and know that you being there for your friend is the best thing. And you are VERY good at doing that! Love you.

Ashlee Liddell said...

Thank you friend...

I think those ideas are great, and just what I was looking for!

Things have taken turns for the positive today, and that is awesome! It is still a long haul, but I hope to bring peace and comfort today while I am there....

dancing queen said...

Friend:
Having been on the RECEIVING side.....just your presence is a huge comfort.
* Offering to sit with the stuff in the waiting room while the person goes to visit in the ICU is helpful.
* Bringing a meal to the waiting or going with the person to go eat is also helpful.
* Getting the person to take a walk outside and get some fresh air is needed.
* If you fell comfortable, helping to be a protector of the person is good - so that other people with good intentions don't place the attention on themselves...when you're in crisis you don't usually have the energy to let others know your own boundaries.
* Sometimes offering to be there so the family can go home and freshen up or get some rest is helpful.
* And I know that you've already provided some very needed practical help with children and/or house stuff.

Having been on the GIVING side....it seems awkward and you feel like very helpless, but that is when you realize that you need the help of the Holy Spirit to be at work through you.
* Being there when you can is important - because the situation can change from moment to moment - and you never know when they need someone to talk to, to cry with or just need someone to hold their hand.
* Depending on how close you are to the person and their family dynamic, sometimes you can hear things that they are not able to hear/think about (because of their emotional distraction). Not pushing them to make decisions, but being aware of what is taking place.

Above all else, remember to exercise the priesthood that He has given you.

Susan

Ashlee Liddell said...

thanks susan. thanks so much.