Monday, May 12, 2008

The Extravagance of God...

I can remember a conversation that took place one Friday night about whether or not it was okay with God to have nice, perhaps even 'extravagant' possessions.


It was rather passionate, if my memory serves correct about this particular evening.


Since that night, many, many moons ago; God has brought that conversation to my mind many times. I believe He has been working on my heart, and my head.


The conclusion I have come to most recently is that my God is a God of extravagance. His very nature is one of unfathomable extravagance, my existence is evidence of that. Every breath of air I breathe reminds me of just how overwhelmingly extravagant His love is, for me.


Truth be told, it is this extravagance that is perhaps hardest for me to accept.


Something about a love that offers forgiveness regardless of the wrong, regardless of the unworthiness and ugliness totals undoes me.


It undoes me because I can not earn it.


I can never re-pay it.


Which is perhaps the best definition of extravagance.


Tonight, God reminded me of His extravagance, and He did it with something quite tangible, and something of great earthly worth.


I was given this. And while some might be overwhelmed by its earthly worth, tonight I am abundantly amazed at God's extravagant love for me.


4 comments:

carahinojosa said...

What is it about a piece of material with c's all over it that makes my mouth water so?!?!

Congratulations. It is beautiful!

Tami said...

I may have to try it on, maybe even carry it for you when we are together!

Ashlee Liddell said...

Anything for you Tami...anything! ;)

Thanks Cara....it really is pretty, isn't it?!?

dancing queen said...

Wow! Now you just don't have to think about His extravegance, you have a visible reminder and story to share with others. What a wonderful gift.

Last week, someone took me shopping, with money given by people I don't know and simply said, "Choose whatever you want. Really." How funny it is that I didn't think I was worth it and simply headed to the sales area and clearance racks. I found it a totally unbelievable and completely humbling experience.