Friday, December 07, 2007

Making cookies...



Words can not express how much I learned making cookies with Amber, Jadyn and Alaina.


Amber, the fabulous mother of these two precious girls, only once had to stop the creative juices from flowing (due to half a bottle of sprinkles on one pink cookie.....).


Alaina will be five in January, and was most concerned with using her rolling pin "just like Momma does" and whether or not her cookies were the right size (thickness).


Jadyn was most concerned with having fun, and creating her own cookies, her own way. Who needs a cookie cutter?
Here Jadyn and I are trying to get her hands clean, while Amber attempts to shoot a picture to capture Jadyn's face.
I think the biggest lesson I learned this particular afternoon, was a gentle reminder that God made us all different for a reason. Often times my initial reaction was to help Jadyn to make her cookies "the right way," but that was due only to my own perfectionist tendencies. (Not that Jadyn would have listened to me anyway, she knew she was making her cookies just like she wanted them!)
It was so much fun, and a wonderful reminder of the importance of nurturing our differences in the body of Christ, our families, and our friends.

1 comments:

terriH said...

Baking cookies with kids is always a hoot. You never know what they are going to look like...

Last year, the girls and I made cookies for Santa on Christmas Eve...by the time we were done, everyone was covered in flour and colored sugar. And we did leave a few cookies for Kyle (I mean, Santa).