Sunday, June 08, 2008

Sunday finds, volume III


This is a wierd assortment of things that caught my attention this week.


Is anyone still visiting these links???


First, courtesy of Paula Deen, a recipe for Cheese Straws. I have two family recipes for cheese straws, but found this one from Paula to be almost identical to one of them. If you have never had yourself a cheese straw, go make these now. You can thank me later!
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

In a food processor, add the butter, cheese, flour, salt, and cayenne and process until a smooth dough is formed. Scoop it into a cookie press, fitted with a flat ridged tip. Pipe the dough in 2-inch strips onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. (Alternatively, refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes and roll on a lightly floured surface into a 1/4-inch thick rectangle. Cut into smaller rectangles, about 2 by 3-inches, with a pizza wheel or sharp knife.)
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to racks to cool.
This is why I will never be a Red Sox fan. Not even for a minute. Only possibly if the only two teams left on planet earth were the Yankees and Red Sox, then, and only then, will I consider being a Red Sox fan. End of rant.
I will be trying this first thing Monday morning. I would normally wait until next week to share it, but I am so excited to try it I simply had to share!
For all you parents out there, check out this fabulous site. I tried to buy this, but it is out of stock. Ugh. There are some other good sales if you are looking for something specific.
So, share your great finds with the rest of us.... come on, you know you have a great secret or two up your internet sleeves!!!




5 comments:

Amber said...

I am so with you about the Red Sox thing. Joe told me about that incident this weekend...and normally I'm not one to advocate the intentional pegging of batters, but he had to know that was coming, which means he was spoiling for a fight. Ridiculous.

That tea looks good...I'm waiting to hear what you think!

kd_rundle said...

ooo, raspberry iced tea. I ordered some of that from miss Becca's Homemade Gourmet (and some mango iced tea, too). Also, I'm looking forward to Sonic's limited time Blackberry Iced tea - could be a great substitute for those former DC runs, eh?

Ashlee Liddell said...

Not only did he know the pitch was coming, but he didn't even try to move out of the way, AND it hit his thigh....HELLO!??! He could have thrown it at his head, wrist, ankle, anywhere else would have been a little questionable....ugh. And he (Coco, hit batter) had been provoking the fight for two previous games....

And, the tea, was delicious! If you like tea, but aren't sure of flavored teas, this is a good investment! I don't like flavored teas where you can only taste the fruit, and this did not disappoint. I also got a tropical fruit flavor, which I did not notice until this morning was caffeine free. I will try it later on today and report back as well.

A warning, it looks like HEB is the only place locally carrying it right now....I don't know about up in Louisville Kristie, but you can enter your zip code on the celestial seasonings website and they will tell you where to find it.

aziner said...

to be fair, both sides were looking for the fight. the Rays felt Coco tried to intentionally hurt their 2nd baseman while stealing. and Coco thought the shortstop was intentionally blocking a steal which caused him to sprain his thumb. And yes he rushed the mound, but once the Rays had him on the ground several of their guys were pounding him, which is completely inexcusable.

Oh and there's this, "I protected my own players and that's what we need to do around here," Shields [the pitcher who hit Crisp] said. "We've been getting stomped around the last 10 years and it isn't going to happen anymore. I had to let them know early and let them know right away."

You don't have to like the Sox, but the Rays are just as culpable. Perhaps even moreso if you ask the MLB, 5 Rays have been suspended compared to 3 Red Sox.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.