Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 16 and 17...

I know, I know...late again!

Day 16 was one of those days where I absolutely needed to hear from the person who wrote my letter. It has a long, hard, rough week in ministry for me. To be real honest, I was operating on fumes by Friday. And Friday morning, I opened letter 16, and it was from Greg Garcia, my boss. His words were just the reminder and encouragement I needed to hear to finish out the week, and weekend.

I don't actually recall when I first met Greg, but I do recall the exact date of our first real conversation. It was October 5, 2004, exactly one year from when I had resigned from my last church position. He asked me to take a risk and join another church planting team. On paper I was agreeing to walk right into the same situation I had left a year ago, just a different place and different people. Taking that risk has been one of the best decisions I have ever made!

Greg has been an incredible mentor, gently constantly pushing me to grow in my personal and professional life. I cherish his friendship, his family, and his Godly example of servant leadership more than words could ever express.

My gift on day 16 was a bright and cheerfully colored luggage tag and small bag combo set! I was already rejoicing for the brightly colored luggage tag, and looking forward to my big vacation in May!

My gift on day 17 was the cutest cross key chain with a Starbucks gift card hanging on it! Just love it! It was also in the cutest little box, which I just adored.

My letter on Day 17 was from Debbie McCool. I first met Debbie when I went home with Sarah McCool Zullo one weekend our freshman year. Her mom was great, but I would have NEVER guessed what God would do in our lives after that initial meeting. Sometime our junior or senior year at MCC, God transferred the McCools to Houston. They started attending the church I grew up in, and by the time I had returned home in 2002 Debbie was already serving on the church staff at this church. I worked with her for several months, and somewhere in that time frame she decided to start a twenty-something women's Bible study group.

It was because of that group that Amber and I really got to know each other well, and that group gave birth to our Friday night group. And it was through the Friday night group that I was blessed with this incredible circle of friends I call coffee friends! Debbie also blessed us with one of my favorite traditions we have as a group, and that is our annual Christmas baking day!

What a wonderful 30 Rock Tour I have had! It just keeps getting sweeter....

2 comments:

HeidiZizz said...

=) I like you. Just wanted to remind you.

So glad you are having a great tour and taking the time to blog about it...makes me feel like I'm there.

Remember that time we went to the McCool's (I don't remember the occasion) and Debbie made tomotoes stuffed with orzo and other yumminess and chicken salad sandwiches? Seriously good stuff!

Ashlee Liddell said...

I do remember that time, Heidi. I think it was the weekend of Sarah's wedding. Maybe a bridal lunch? I remember the food was fantastic. Who else was there?

I have had some really fabulous dining experiences with Debbie McCool, so it is hard to separate them! Some of my most treasured recipes come from her....

I like you too, friend. It has been so fun to celebrate with you too!